Jadies Nexus

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Jadie's Nexus. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Spi's Random Fic Advice: Lesson One, discussing dialogue
Spiletta42
  Posted: Apr 1 2005, 05:18 PM

Owner of Tea-Maker Eddie
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 14

I've suddenly decided to spew writing advice at random. I'm sure you'll all enjoy it immensely.

Today we're going to talk about dialogue.

Rule number one in fiction dialogue: It is supposed to imitate life, not mirror it.

Real people repeat themselves, ramble, change topics mid-sentence, and even preach about their personal pet peeves.

Fictional characters shouldn't do all of that. Trim your dialogue carefully, removing the repetition and unnecessary rambling. This will make your fiction read smoother.

There's a rule that confuses even the experienced writers:

When you're writing dialogue, and one character speaks for longer than a single paragraph, you leave the " off the end of the first, and then use them again at the beginning of the next paragraph. You should know this rule, but file it away in the back of your mind. Rarely, if ever, should you need this rule.

Actively avoid needing it.

When two are more characters are speaking, don't let one require two paragraphs. Even if he/she isn't letting the other get a word in edgewise, at least show us the other character's actions to break it up.

Then, you'll always be able to close ALL of your dialogue with " and you won't have any confusion.

Take the last scene you wrote with dialogue, and I'll give you a shiney cyber nickel for every word you can take out.

Later, if I feel like it, I'll ramble a bit about speaker attributes and beats, but that ramble is already on my website, and if you know me at all, you're sick of it by now.

Enjoy, and write! :beta:

This post has been edited by Spiletta42 on Apr 23 2005, 09:26 PM
Jade
Posted: Apr 1 2005, 08:54 PM

Owner
Group Icon

Group: Owner
Member No.: 3

Thanks Spi, your ramble is informative and instructive.

I will remember your offer for cyber nickels the next time I write a dialogue.

Jadie :user:
Trindajae
Posted: Apr 2 2005, 04:38 PM

Inhale... pause... Exhale... repeat
Group Icon

Member No.: 43

Hey Spi! I agree completely with everything you say except... the bit about rambling. It can sometimes be useful to show a specific attribute or emotional state of a character. But I completely agree that it should be used neither constantly nor universally. It's probably about as useful as leaving the ending quotation mark off of a paragraph in the middle of a single character's dialogue...
Spiletta42
Posted: Apr 2 2005, 07:01 PM

Owner of Tea-Maker Eddie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Trindajae @ Apr 2 2005, 04:38 PM)
Hey Spi! I agree completely with everything you say except... the bit about rambling. It can sometimes be useful to show a specific attribute or emotional state of a character. But I completely agree that it should be used neither constantly nor universally.

All rules and guidelines may be successfully broken at any time, provided:

a) you understand the rule

B) you know why you are breaking the rule

For example, in a recent fic I needed to illustrate Chakotay's jumbled thoughts while he dealt with an emergency situation while ignoring his own head injury. As a result, there's a sentence with the word "and" used four times.

When I only used one too many ands, it looked like I, the writer, was being sloppy. On the rewrite, I exaggerated it a touch more, and it worked better:

http://sky.prohosting.com/spiletta/36hours.html

anne3rose
Posted: Apr 3 2005, 10:53 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Interesting point about dialog imitating life not mirroring it. There are lots of things in real life that we don't include in fic.

- Anne Rose
Intala
Posted: Apr 5 2005, 11:25 AM

Lt. Junior Grade

Group: Members
Member No.: 121

and there's sure a lot of things in fic we'd never experience in rl... ok, ok, what else is the point of fiction....

Love, Intala
anne3rose
Posted: Apr 25 2005, 05:13 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Spiletta42 @ Apr 2 2005, 07:01 PM)
For example, in a recent fic I needed to illustrate Chakotay's jumbled thoughts while he dealt with an emergency situation while ignoring his own head injury. As a result, there's a sentence with the word "and" used four times.

When I only used one too many ands, it looked like I, the writer, was being sloppy. On the rewrite, I exaggerated it a touch more, and it worked better:

Could you please paste the lines you're talking about?

- Anne Rose
Spiletta42
Posted: Apr 25 2005, 05:46 PM

Owner of Tea-Maker Eddie
Group Icon

The sentence in question, I think:

He needed to look at the bump on her head, and find an analgesic in the medkit, and locate some shelter, and -- .

Ah, yes, that really conveys the idea that he's being pulled in many directions at the same time. Too many #1 priorities in a survival situation.

- Anne Rose
anne3rose
Posted: Apr 25 2005, 06:16 PM

Administrator
Group Icon

Ack! I think I edited spi's post instead of posting somehow. Darn these sneaky computers. They make me so mad I want to pinch them! {insert Marvin the Martian here}

- Anne Rose
« Next Oldest | Writing: Inspiration or Obsession | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0623 seconds · Archive